Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rant rant rant

So, today I discovered my supervisor is being promoted and one of the leading figures to replace him is, surprise, me. Of course I don't want the position. If I were to take it then goodbye days, goodbye slacking off, goodbye free time for college in the fall. It would also mean surrendering to "the machine" and becoming a cog rather than still having the fleeting hope that I might one day make it as a writer. Let's be serious: I am an artist, not a realist. I simply cannot commit to something as "responsible" as supervision. That was one of the major factors behind me quitting the military.

I was finally able to put together a script for my next YouTube video. Hopefully this weekend I'll have put it together and posted it. It'll be a laugh riot I tell you. Probably more controversial than my last video, but I was never one for pulling my punches when it came to opinion.

Since every other blog has made mention of the Virginia Tech fiasco, I guess I should too. I don't believe in gun reform. As has been said better on other forums, and as I discovered in nations with harsh anti-gun laws (South Africa), the very idea doesn't work. People can and will forever get their hands on pistols and rifles should they ever want them. Unless you shut down every manufacturing plant for both weapons and ammunition, you will not see a decline in violence and we all know that is impossible. Deterrence is key, ala the Cold War. Both sides had nukes preventing either from actually using them. Would you be willing to attack someone with a gun if you knew they had one as well? Of course not, because you would realize the possibility of being shot. So all you reactionaries back off the, "We need to protect the children," bullshit.

I do believe the college shares part of the blame for this. The fact that the shootings happened two hours apart and all VT did was issue an e-mail is beyond reproachable. Some are trying to say, "Let's not place blame, only fix the problem," since to do so would level a mighty lawsuit against the incompetency of the administration. I'll admit that when I went to college I never checked e-mails coming from the school. What should have been done was have those lazy ass campus security personnel secure the area, call the cops, and search the grounds. That is common sense. The problem was the school authorities made an assumption that called for the least action, i.e. must have been an isolated incident. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. Shit went down on your watch, you didn't perform accordingly, so buck up, admit your wrong, and fix it! The fact the school won't admit that part of the blame was theirs makes me cringe. The glory of today's society: no one is to blame. You wonder why so many people do the things they do: they don't have to take responsibility.

Oh well, I'm red in the face and really just dreading work tonight as they've closed down my main avenue of travel, the 2nd Street Bridge, for lame ass "Thunder Over Louisville". So now I have to go out of my way and my OCD is really acting up, the dread stabbing me in the chest. God, living in a land of hillbillies who love to watch jets and things go boom: I am truly in Hell.

No comments: