Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Reason Why

People always wonder where the magic went, waking up to face each day; life getting dimmer and grayer with every receding dream. The magic never went away. You’ve simply become blind to it.

A large number of people believe maturity is the end all, be all to human development. We have to progress to that logical plane where everything had a reason and everyone a purpose. There is no room to be wild and spontaneous. One must have responsibilities and keep obligations. Well I say otherwise. Responsibilities are the chains that bind us and obligations the bars of our own make. Why does everything have to make sense? Why must we all have a purpose?

Now I’m not an immature man. Far from. I understand the need for certain responsibilities and the reason for certain obligations. After all, in this world, trust is an important thing. But I call shenanigans on forced responsibility and unnecessary obligation. Why should I take a job I don’t like? Why do I need that expensive car, those trendy clothes, or social status? And should others look to me, why is it my obligation to lead them? Why should I have to watch what I say or how I act to serve as a role model? Why can’t I simply be me, others be damned? There is a thing in life called choice and should others ignorantly follow in my footsteps then let the lemmings spill over the cliff. At least I have enough forethought to step aside at the last moment because I see the cliff rather than the guy’s back in front of me, placing my trust and safety in a guy whose face I’ve never seen.

This is the world we live in. We’re expected to “grow up”, set aside our wonder and instead question question question and prod prod prod to find out why, yet when the answer is right there before us we refuse to see it. Growing up is all about denying your true self. We build this armor around us of past memories and fashion glasses of former experiences not realizing that all we’re really doing is cutting ourselves off from the world and distorting the reality around us. Reality is only what we make of it. Our minds and perceptions filter what really surrounds us and sadly maturity means narrowing that broad horizon to a slit which allows only the slimmest of wonders to slip through.

Children are wonderful and I’ll tell you why. They don’t have past experiences to cloud their view of the magnificent world around them. Everything is new and special and welcome. Children aren’t afraid. They see no reason to lie to themselves. They don’t worry about what their place is in the world. They only worry that they don’t have enough time to experience everything there is to offer.

That is what life is. It is experience. Maturity, true maturity, shouldn’t be a limiting thing. You shouldn’t sell a part of your soul because you have something to prove. You should confine yourself to an existence that smothers your lusts to be.

The magic children see and we are too blind to notice is simply the wonder of life. There are still so many experiences out there no matter how old you are. So much to learn and discover. If we’d just let go of what has been, let the scales fall from our eyes, the blazing light of existence would reignite that smothered flame of our souls. Take every moment for what it is. Not what you think it represents. Find that magic.

People call me immature. But you know what? I don’t live for them. I live to be. That may make me giddy and to some apparently careless, but it’s my life and I don’t want to regret one single part of it. Life is experience people. Stop taking the safe road. Set off for that horizon. Follow your dreams. Create your destiny. Never settle for less than what you’re worth because you are worth far more than any material object you could ever own.

No comments: